AD/HD can become as successful as any of his classmates. However, he will need your consistent support and resources you can help to offer him.
First of all, try to focus on the strengths of your child challenged with ADD. Children and adults with ADD or ADHD (AD/HD) will ALWAYS have strengths (notice the plural here!) If the ADD energies can be channeled with appropriate strategies, they will further deliver on those strengths. It's all about having either a "glass half-full or half-empty" ADDitude.
Secondly, there are strategies and resources available that can actually be very helpful as well as organizations that can be very supportive. Here is our most current list of great resources for AD/HD:
Resources for Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD):
• http://www.chadd.org/ For parents of children and adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD) ---National Resource Center on AD/HD with info, resources, and support
• http://www.additudemag.com/ Website of ADDitude Magazine, premier publication about AD/HD
• http://www.russellbarkley.org/adhd-research.htm Official website of Professor Russell Barkley, providing fact sheets, resources and other information relating to AD/HD
• http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_who_cant_pay_attention/attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder Downloadable article with facts, resources, & other info on AD/HD for families
• http://www.ldanatl.org/ Learning Disabilities Association of America---National organization providing info, resources and support for LDs
Advocacy Resources (for All Special Needs):
• http://www.wrightslaw.com/ Wrightslaw: Special Education Law and Advocacy
• http://aacap.org/page.ww?name=Services+in+School+for+Children+with+Special+Needs:+What+Parents+Need+to+Know§ion=Facts+for+Families Services (in school) for children with special needs (from the American Academy of Pediatrics)
For more information, please visit:
www.FocusandRead.com For focusing tools that work!
www.BrennanInnovators.com For info, resources, and support
314-892-3897 For phone support and consultation